The Not-So-Glamorous Side of Wedding/Events Floral Design


It's the end of a busy week and I've been going from one meeting to the next, feeling pulled in several directions. But that's okay - it's part of this business, which can be crazy and demanding. Then today I mentioned to a client/church friend that it was the month of March (she reminded me it was only February) and I knew it must be time to take the day off, and to breath. I don't take time off very often.

It is always a joy and honor to be a part of an event because floral design is my passion and I love helping people. But this work is tough. So I thought I'd share a little bit of the not-so-glamorous side of this business <while I'm taking time off>. So here goes.... it starts and ends with lots and lots of planning and scheduling and then a lot of hard work.

Once an event is booked, it's all about the budget and schedules that keeps us on track. A detailed cost budget, a schedule for when everything is to be ordered, designed, built, delivered and taken back down after the event. The logistics of it all can be challenging.  During down times, I source out new products and am always looking for inspiration for my designs. This means that testing products to see how they hold up under different conditions, and doing mock ups of complicated designs is extremely important. Technique is everything and it must be constantly practiced.

Below are some photos taken at a floral wholesaler. I'm always looking for the best products for my designs. 
















For large events, the flower shipment can be huge and cooled storage is critical to keep the flowers at their freshest. So the timing of the shipment, and the storage of the flowers before and after they are arranged is important.  Prepping a large shipment of flowers is a lot of work too. Removing any thorns, stripping leafs and re-cutting all stems and hydrating the flowers can take hours.

The work schedule timeline then splits up the tasks of making up bouquets, corsages, boutonnieres, ceremony decor and reception decor so that the longest lasting designs are made first and stored in a cooler. Bows are made up ahead of time and floral wrap, pins, ribbon, etc. are all ready to go and within hands reach once the design process begins. Prepping creates a big mess and the design process makes another mess, so extra help and time is needed for clean up.

Then on the day of the event, which I call 'show time', we use yet another schedule - the loading schedule to optimize delivery space and determine how many vehicles and helpers will be needed. I also like to bring one helper just to take photographs. I've kicked myself on several occasions for not taking pictures of an event. Relying on the event/wedding photographer works out the best, if possible, because the photos are so much better. Finding the time to post the photos is another matter.

So, if you have the inclination to do your own wedding flowers, I hope some of the above information helps. I encourage you to practice, practice, practice, make schedules and be ready for some extra stress. It's just the nature of dealing with fresh flowers. If you'd like for us to handle your wedding or event decor, we'd be honored to be a part of your day!  We'll work within your budget and you'll be able to enjoy your day more stress-free.
                                                                      *************


Blog Archive